Butterflies

Butterflies and other insects ...

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A friendly Danaid Eggfly

Morning on reaching office, I was called by a colleague to show how some moth caterpillars have attacked our garden. There was a small patch of Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica). It was totally eaten up by them and I could see many caterpillars and pupas on that. I have collected one pupa for observations. I also saw some parasite wasp’s pupae there. Hopefully the parasites will now control the moth caterpillars now.

A good day to watch butterflies today. I could spend almost half an hour today in the same patch today. The weather is cloudy and windy. It was between 1:30 and 2:10pm.

Today I did photography with a new camera Sony DCR-TRV38E. So I am not sure about the results, let us see.

I took few more pictures of Blues. Will try to identify tonight, if time permits. I saw a friendly Danaid Eggfly Male (Hypolimnas misippus Linnaeus) and could take good pictures.



I saw two moths, which were feeding, on flowers. I could take picture of one of them.

The butterflies observed today were:

  • Common Grass Yellow (Eurema hecabe Linnaeus)
  • Plain Tiger (Danaus chrysippus Linnaeus)
  • Emigrant (Catopsilia pomona Fabricius)
  • Tawny Coster (Acraea violae Fabricius)
  • Common Caster (Ariadne merione Cramer)
  • Common Cerulean ()

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home